Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Spam



Sometimes a woman has to hold her hands up and admit she was wrong about something. In this case I was wrong about Spam. For in my head was a hefty prejudice for this food that has now become a regular in my cupboard, associated with the war when real meat was scarce and people were short of cash. I am however, willing to try anything once. On the recommendation of a friend I bit the bullet, bought a can of spam and fried it up. YUM!!

That is all I have to say really, if you can get over the slightly weird dog food look of spam and fry it really thin and crispy then you are on to a winner. It has actually become my quick dinner of choice, mainly because I can't figure out how to make an omelette properly on the new sodding cooker.

You will need

1 can of spam (Spam lite has lower carbs, which is the nutritional info I'm quoting)
1 very sharp knife
1 chopping board
Eggs if you wish to have fried eggs.
Some cheese for sprinkling.
A bit of mayo for dipping


  1. Slice the spam into tiny tiny slices, probably 1 mm thick, as thin as you can get them!
  2. Fry the slices in a pan (no extra oil needed), until crispy. Turn them over a few times.
  3. Fry two eggs in the left over fat.
  4. Grate a bit of cheese over the spam.
  5. Spoon out some mayo and enjoy!
Nutrition Information for Spam


Calories 454 kcal

Fat 34g
Carbohydrate 4g
Protein 33g



Nutritional Information for Spam, eggs, mayo and cheese


Calories 727 kcal
Fat 57g
Carbohydrate 4g
Protein 48g

Tip: Spam also comes in a Spam with garlic, and Spam with bacon flavour, both equally yummy but slightly different carbs/calories.


No comments:

Post a Comment