Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Review: Slim Rice




You may have seen these floating around in Holland and Barrett or other health food shops. Also know as Shirataki Noodles, bare naked noodles and miracle noodles. Made of konjac all these varieties are made entirely of fibre, so have 0 carb impact and very little calories. 

I normally get them at the Japanese supermarket near me, but not everyone has that option. Most people have. H&B, even the tiny store in the dark depths near my parents have them. Even better at the moment they are two packets for £2.50, which makes them just about affordable. They are not in any way worth £2.50 a packet. If you can get hold of tofu shirataki noodles I would say they are worth it as a treat. 

Now I was pleasantly surprised with these, the Japanese imported ones come in a fairly horrible smelling liquid that needs rinsing off, these have no smell.

Buying the slim rice just meant the noodles had been cut up into rice like strips. So I dumped them into my food to make a risotto thing.

Konjac has no flavour, but takes on the flavour of anything it was cooked with.

I will heavily imply. These are not pasta or or rice. Do not expect them to be an exact replacement. 

BUT as an addition to a meal, something to bulk it without extra veg, or because you want a bit of extra fibre they are good.

A bit slimy, a bit chewy. I'm reliably informed they make a good noodle soup. Buy them if you want to try them, but they aren't worth it as a regular meal addition, far too expensive. 





No comments:

Post a Comment