Friday, February 22, 2013

Broccoli Soup




Two things drove the need for this post, a) I realised I haven't been having any veggies apart from at dinner, which don't get me wrong makes for some very huge dinners but it's always worth spreading it out a bit, and b) it was snowing in London today Yes I know it only snowed for 5 minutes, but it was still there there and made the air cold enough for soup.

Normally when the need for soup in my life arose I would plump for New Covent Garden Thai chicken, which I thought would be less carby than it actually is (15g a serving), but instead I came up with this being that I had both cream and broccoli in the fridge.

Ingredients(enough for 4 portions)

1 Garlic Clove
1 tsp of olive oil
50g Onions
400g Broccoli Florets
Enough chicken/vegetable stock to just cover the florets.
100ml Double cream

1.Roughly chop the garlic clove and the onion.
2.Fry the garlic and onion lightly in olive oil
3.Add the broccoli and enough chicken stock to just over the ingredients.
4.Boil gently for as long as it takes to go mushy, you don't need to have it on a high boil, just enough to heat and get the broccoli cooking.
5.Take the pot off the boil and blend the broccoli into the stock with a hand blender.
6.Add 100ml cream right at the end and blend again.
7.Salt and pepper to taste.

The first time I did this it was a lot thicker than the one in the picture, this time I added too much chicken stock making it too watery for my liking, so be careful with your amounts.

Nutritional Information
Calories 184 kcal
Fat 15.6g
Carbs 4.3g
Fibre 2.8g
Protein 6.5g 

and a whopping 67% of your vitamin C for the day.

Pro Tip:

Fry some pancetta or bacon lardons to sprinkle over the top instead of crutons.


1 comment:

  1. I have just found your blog! Its fantastic! I can't wait to try this one because I have been finding it difficult to have enough fat! Thank you so much and you can say I am an avid fan!

    please don't stop posting! <3

    (P.s I'll be sure to post this blog on the KetoUK reddit!)

    ReplyDelete