Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cauliflower Mash








This particular side dish has become a regular in my meals since starting keto, having something that is easy to make, lasts four dishes and tastes amazing is always a plus in my book. Weirdly enough considering how much I love cauliflower mash I was never a huge fan of mash potato. I would eat it when it was there, but I would never go out of my way to make it, far too lazy for that! I had seen a few recipes floating around of cauliflower mash, but it took about three tries for me to settle on one that works every time and has the same consistency as mashed potato.


Ingredients

1 large head of cauliflower, break the florets up as small as possible and remove the main stalk. (roughly 400-600g)
500 ml Chicken stock- either make your own or use a knorr stock cube (lowest carbs)
30g Butter
30ml Double cream

1. Bring the cauliflower florets to the boil in the stock. Leave simmering for 10-15 minutes, until you can break them up with the flat side of a knife without effort.
2. Drain the stock away and return the pan to the heat to dry the cauliflower. Be careful to move the cauliflower around to prevent burning.
3. Melt the 30g of butter into the dried cauliflower, mix in and blend with a hand blender.
4. Once the cauliflower is completely blended add 25-30ml of cream and mix in.

N.B. The amount of cream you need varies wildly. It is very easy to make this dish too wet, so add the cream in small amounts until you get the consistency you want.

Nutritional Information (per portion)

Calories 113 Kcal
Fat 9.6g
Carbs 3.1g
Fibre 1.8g
Protein 3.8g

Pro Tip: Put a couple of portions in a bowl, cover in grated cheese and put in the oven until the cheese has gone slightly crisp. Completely Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment