Sunday, March 17, 2013

Spinach and pork belly





Now the plan this week was to use up all the food I have been hoarding in my cupboards and freezer. Which for some reason consists of 8 packets of bacon, about 3 tonnes of almonds and some strange reason 3 half a fridge shelf of cheese. Now as tasty as that sounds I will have to do a veg shop or there would be some really strange recipes coming your way.

This recipe used the last of my spinach and the pork belly I picked up for cheaps in Sainsburys. I don't think there are sufficient words to describe my love for pork belly. When done properly is tasty, glorious, mouth orgasming food, I apologise in advance for the poor quality of the spinach dish photo there was really no way to make it look good, but it was sure yummy!

For the Pork Belly (serves 4)

Ingredients

1 kg of pork belly
1 onion sliced up.
2 cloves of garlic roughly chopped.
5 ml (a few shakes) Light Soy Sauce
10ml ( 1tsbp) Olive Oil
Sea salt and cracked black pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 220 C
2. Scatter the chopped onion and garlic on the bottom of the baking tray.
3. Shake some soy sauce and a small amount of the olive oil over the top and mix evenly.
4. Score the pork belly skin with a sharp knife, close together.
5. Cover the top of the pork belly with the sea salt and black pepper and the rest of the olive oil.
6. Rub the seasoning into the skin with your fingers, making sure it gets into all the slits.
7. Place the pork belly over the top of the onions/garlic, making sure they are completely covered.
8. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 220 C until the skin starts to bubble.
9. Turn the temperature down to 160 C for 1.5 hours until the skin is crispy.
10. Leave to rest for at least 10 minutes and serve!

Nutritional Information (per serving)

Calories 438 Kcal
Fat 31.5g
Carbs 1.4g
Protein 36.4g

For the Spinach and Chorizo Side (serves 1)

Ingredients

4 Slices of Chorizo
70g Spinach (I used the frozen kind defrosted first)
30g Soft Cream Cheese
30g Somerset Brie

1. Fry the chorizo on a low heat until it starts to crisp.
2. Add the spinach and cream cheese and fry together.
3. Once the cream cheese is thoroughly mixed in put the mixture into a bowl and cover in brie.
4. Put the dish in the oven/microwave to melt the brie, roughly 5 minutes.

Nutritional Information

Calories 231 kcal
Fat 19.1g
Carbs 1.7g
Fibre 1.5g
Protein 13g






This dish was unexpectedly filling, I think the combination of the cream cheese and brie made the side creamy enough that I didn't feel like I was lacking anything. I will be making it again, especially since I'm not a massive fan of spinach so need to cover it in everything and anything!









No comments:

Post a Comment