Friday, May 1, 2015

Review: EZ-Sweetz (now on amazon)


Liquid sweeteners are the preferred method of sweetening desserts and coffee and tea and basically everything that needs to be sweet for low-carbers. Powdered sweeteners like Splenda, Canderel and the like contain the bulking agent Maltodexrin which means they aren't carb free, around 0.5g of carbs per teaspoon. If you are using them in your coffee that isn't so much to account for. But in baking that adds up quickly and the amount of Splenda needed in most recipes can turn your low carb recipe which is easy to fit into your < 20g carb day, into something that takes up 3/4 of your daily carb allowance.

No such bulking agent is used in liquid sweeteners, they are carb free, calorie free and do nothing except sweetener whatever they are mixed with. Up until now I have been using Hermestas liquid sweetener, it was the only one I had tried that didn't leave a horrible taste in my mouth, and it was available on Amazon so supply wasn't an issue. My one complaint was the sheer amount you needed e.g. 4 tbsp of sweetener in my fat bomb recipe. I hoped Ez-Sweetz would be a great alternative, their conversion is 1 tsp sugar = 1 drop of Ez-Sweetz. But alas it was forever sold out on low carb megastore and carb life, as well as being expensive for not very much.

Not any more!

I spotted it's appearance on Amazon at the start of the year and immediately bought some to try. £6.99 for 600 servings didn't seem so bad, if the reviews over the Internet were to be believed.

I wasn't disappointed. No horrible after taste, barely any was needed to sweetener my coffee, I've used it in baking with great success. It's definitely worth keeping some in your cupboard whether you bake and eat sweet things, or just have the occasional craving for something sweet.

For a comparison- I was using two tablets of Sweetex in my morning coffee to sweeten it. I need a single drop of Ez-Sweetz to get the same effect, and it doesn't have any odd after taste.

Success and a new cupboard staple!

No comments:

Post a Comment