Friday, February 14, 2014

Bulk cooking





From time to time I get lazy, and this is normally in regards to lunch which I end up buying from a supermarket instead of taking my own. When this happens more than a couple of times in a week I know I need to bulk cook. My method for doing this is to make enough dishes for 16 meals, where bits and pieces can be added like jerky, nuts and cheese slices to maintain a bit of variety in my lunch life. Now the reason for 16 is quite simply that is the number of plastic containers I can fit in my freezer box (yes I do measure it). The downside of this is that I can't actually freeze anything for the first week until I free up some space in the freezer.

Last week I did a massive shop (I was hungry, much impulse buying), and restocked my fridge with lots of bits and pieces I had been denying myself during the budget month. This included Boursin, macadamia nuts, lemons, onions, some random spreadable cheddar which was on offer and, well, lots of cheese really. I fricking love cheese.


Now meals I was planning to make:

2 portions of chorizo and spinach mince. (ended up being 3 portions)
2 portions of sausage and mash. (ended up being 3 portions )
4 portions of special fried rice.
6 portions of Chorizo and chicken kitchen sink.

Ingredients

3 Sausage and cauliflower mash
                6 sausages
                400g cauliflower
                1 stock cube
                50g butter


4 portions of special fried rice
                3 pork steaks
   400g cauliflower             
                200g chicken
                200g spinach
                4 eggs
                33g cheese

3 portions of mince and chorizo
50g broccoli
200g spinach
100g chorizo
400g mince

6 portions of chorizo/chicken/cream cheese (made like my kitchen sink dish)
                100g chorizo
                200g chicken
                60g onion
                200g sprouts     
                200g cream cheese
                200g spinach
                200g broccoli

                100g Cheddar

Total Cost for all these ingredients was £15, so that's less than £1 a meal. Even if you add some nuts or extra cheese it is unlikely these lunches will cost more than £2. 










No comments:

Post a Comment